Ladies with a D cup size often have a more curved upper back which in turn leads to rounding of the shoulders as well as some compression through the rib cage. The impact of the heavier breast tissue however is not limited to the thoracic spine. It has also been shown to cause an increase in the lumbar spine angle (increase the curve in the lower back) and has also therefore been linked to lower back pain.
- Pain resulting from poor body posture (headaches as well as neck, shoulder, lower back and breast pain.)
- Numbness/tingling in the hands or fingers
- Breathing disorders
- Bra strap chaffing
Furthermore large breasts can also cause issues with:
- Discomfort and limitations during daily and sporting activities
- Low self-esteem and poor body image
- Difficulty finding suitable clothing.
1. Ensure that you are wearing a correctly fitting bra. The correct support will help prevent some of these conditions from occurring and, what’s more, can reduce your symptoms significantly. Not only will a correctly fitted bra have a positive effect on your posture but can also be more flattering and help with self-esteem and body image too.
2. At regular intervals throughout the day, tuck your chin back in towards your chest and pull your shoulders back and downwards. Hold this position for 30 seconds at a time, relax and repeat 4-5 times. Stretching these tight muscles and strengthening the weaker muscles helps to restore proper posture and insure this postural pattern doesn’t return.
If you are suffering with any of the symptoms mentioned above and would like some extra guidance in understanding the treatment and self-help options available, an Osteopath may be able to help. Osteopathy is a form of alternative medicine that uses a patient focused, physical approach to examine, diagnose, treat and prevent a wide range of health problems and conditions. Osteopaths use a combination of movement, stretching, targeted deep tissue massage and manipulation of a person’s muscles and joints to improve function, relieve pain and most importantly support the body’s ability to heal itself.